CDL Class A with Tractor Trailer Experience
Metairie, LA | Full Time Direct Hire
Our client is offering an exciting opportunity for dynamic individuals to become part of their Shipping & Receiving team!
The job will primarily consist of vehicle operations involving both pick up driving (usually within a 50- mile radius) and delivery driving to and from customer motor vessels located at ports throughout the branch territory. In addition, the job involves prepping trucks and loads for the trips, properly logging in pick-ups and numerous other duties as required supporting Shipping & Receiving operations.
This is a full-time position expected to work 8 - 10 hours per day, 5 - 6 days per week, including weekends and holidays. Working hours vary depending on the work load and the schedule of vessels the Company is supplying and may include early morning hours and late evening hours. The Driver position is not eligible for telecommuting.
· Safely operate Company-owned and leased vehicles to facilitate Shipping & Receiving operations.
· Provide outstanding customer service during delivery and pickup operations.
· Remain in close contact with Operations staff, during delivery and pick up.
· Carefully perform required vehicle operation inspections ( before, during and after deliveries ) and prepare and provide required reports to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
· Thoroughly perform routine maintenance, before and after trips , including but not limited to, light bulb replacement, adding water, etc.
· Maintain and protect all property entrusted to you( this includes merchandise picked up from vendors ) , while always ensuring Company-owned and leased trucks are kept clean inside and out.
· Prepare loads for delivery (shrink wrap and cover, safely and securely load truck and ensure correct temperature is set on refrigerated truck for specific products ( if necessary )..
· When making pick ups, carefully compare purchase order to items being picked up to ensure accuracy.
· Upon return from pick ups, properly and carefully unload truck and correctly place and mark pick ups.
· Obtain customer signatures and any other needed information on delivery receipts and paperwork.
· Collect cash from customers (along with completed IRS Form 8300 ( if necessary ) and immediately turn into appointed person upon return.
· Accurately maintain required driver logs and turn them into supervisor at scheduled times.
· Maintain all necessary certifications and licenses required by DOT and any federal, state, local, or port agencies.
· Conscientiously perform any other tasks assigned to support and improve the overall Company operation.
· Consistently and accurately maintain driver log and turn in promptly (due by 8th of month following previous month's closing).
Minimum Skills/Qualifications Required:
· Five or more years of verifiable truck driving experience and clean MVR.
· Excellent attendance is an essential job function
· Ability to read, write, and communicate in English sufficiently to read pick and holds, accompanying notes, customer and colleague emails, and understand safety instructions.
· Possess current/valid CDL license, Medical Examiners Certificate & TWIC card.
· Ability to efficiently and safely operate 10-speed manual (stick shift) and automatic trucks.
· Ability to efficiently and effectively operate and maintain equipment in a safe manner at all times.
· Ability to efficiently and safely operate forklift, pallet jack, and other material handling equipment.
· Ability and willingness to make overnight runs as required by shipping needs.
· High school diploma or GED
· Possess current/valid Hazardous Materials training certification
. TWIC card
· Frequent sitting, driving, standing, bending, stooping, kneeling, and crouching. throughout the workday is required.
· Must be able to frequently lift, carry, move, push, pull or position objects weighing 50 lbs. repeatedly (unassisted) and occasionally up to 100 lbs (with assistance).
· Must be able to work in severe or adverse weather conditions, including hot and cold temperatures or other forms of inclement weather which may occur.
· Must be able to frequently walk long distances (one-quarter mile) at one time and safely climb steps, and gangway.
· Speak, hear and listen effectively to communicate with office staff, vendors and customers while making deliveries, pickups or working in the warehouse/office.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00 to $17.00 /hour
High school or equivalent
driving: 5 years
Required licenses or certifications:
CDL Class A
Apply online at www.applyatwork.com