Work in a team based environment to accomplish and document tasks of the department in a safe/ accident free manner. Ensures plant equipment meets food safety and sanitation requirements. Responsible for ensuring Sanitation meets company standards. The Sanitor plays a key role in providing a food safe work environment. Actively participates in planning and preparing for 3rd party audits.
Essential Duties and Requirements include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Clean production lines to ensure food safety standards are met for cleanliness and allergen contaminants after the sanitation process and before start up.
• Able to recognize and understand basic machine functions and safety. Work in a manor that protects equipment from damage. Willing and able to ask questions and clarify instructions if unclear on any task assigned.
• Initiate requests to Maintenance Department for repairs and/or work orders to maintain sanitation equipment. Report to supervisor or maintenance department.
• Participate in inspection of lines to identify deficiencies in the cleaning and food safety process.
• Correct minor deficiencies documented by utilizing proper sanitation procedures and/ or utilizing the assistance of others on the sanitation crew.
• Sanitize the entire production line
• Maintain areas of non production – to ensure cleanliness and food safety standards are met throughout.
• Understand the frequencies, take responsibility for and document the cleaning of areas from the Master Sanitation Schedule as assigned. Provide additional documentation as needed on activities completed in the sanitation department
• Updating Master Sanitation Schedule and sign off to verify that tasks have been completed according to the required frequency.
• Be familiar with SSOP on all equipment, and how to disassemble and clean. Sign off on all SSOP’s as applicable.
• Train new employees/temps and / or utilize lessons learned through inspection to train and improve the line sanitation process to decrease frequencies of deficiencies.
• Be an active member of the sanitation team during production hours to maintain buildings and grounds, support production on changeovers, and complete MCS tasks.
• Be familiar with the food safety practices and understand their usage i.e. allergens, GMP’s, HACCP, Color Coding, chemical control, and documentation.
• Identify food safety risks, safety hazards, etc. and initiate corrective action as necessary.
• Participate in monthly GMP and or audits to aide in identifying Sanitation/Food Safety/Safety deficiencies. Play a key role in correcting those deficiencies.
• Understand and follow Chemical control program when using, distributing, labeling, and storing chemicals.
• Ensure that chemicals used in process are sufficiently neutralized ( caustics) as necessary before disposal.
• Maintain safety standards for plant conditions and employee practices. Be familiar with and follow all safety regulations.
• Attend and participate in all required safety and food safety meetings
• Complete all tasks in a safe manor and be able to recognize and or correct unsafe behaviors.
• Work in a team based environment, supportive of coworkers and staff. Communicate effectively on all issues including safety, food safety, quality, emergencies and equipment.
• Responsible for recognizing and reporting food safety and employee safety issues.
• Complete all other duties as assigned by the supervisor
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Understanding of machine operation, floor lifts and man lifts.
• When required, pass Work Keys test to sanitation level.
Education and/or Experience
Background in Food Plant Sanitation
Basic understanding of GMP’s and food safety concepts a plus
High school education
Prior manufacturing experience setting up and adjusting Production or packaging equipment is helpful.
Basic understanding of English is helpful when communicating with co workers and in case of emergencies.
Ability or willingness to learn to operate large equipment safely i.e. scissor lift, floor scrubbers, Walkie Stackies, boom lifts, power washers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is regularly required to lift equipment of various weights safely.
Must be comfortable working at heights over 6 ft to ceiling, wearing fall protection, working in small areas and climbing into large equipment utilizing lock out tag out and confined space procedures.