Sterling Heights, MI 48312
Maintains grounds and participates in ground construction activities. Working conditions include dirty environment, extreme temperatures, lifts or carries heavy objects.
This is first in a series of five classifications and is an entry-level classification. This classification typically reports to the Groundskeeper Lead.
Examples of Duties:
• Plants shrubs, trees, and flowers; prunes trees and shrubs.
• Removes debris from stairs and walks, rakes leaves, and mows lawns.
• Waters trees, shrubs, and lawns and performs irrigation activities.
• Sprays for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as required.
• Operates large power lawn mowers, edgers, hand tools, and large vehicles associated with ground maintenance and landscaping activities.
• Operates pick-up trucks, flat-rack trucks, and dump trucks for hauling purposes and for trash and debris removal.
• Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools as required.
• Assists in the maintenance of parking lots and other surfaces, including asphalt repairs and minor masonry or plastering work as required.
• Shovels and removes snow and ice from designated areas such as roofs, sidewalks, and entryways as required.
• Installs and removes outdoor signs, parking and traffic control barriers, and overhead banners as required.
• May operate various snow removal equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of equipment, tools, and procedures of grounds construction and care.
• Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used in grounds care and gardening.
• Skill in operating grounds maintenance and grounds construction equipment.
One year of grounds maintenance experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.