Wastewater Collection System Technician
Six month temporary position - $21/hr. Must have a valid B license, on occasion will be required to drive a commercial vehicle.
This position is Monday - Thursday 6: 30 am - 4: 30 pm
JOB DEFINITION: Under initial close supervision, performs a variety of monitoring, maintenance, repair, and related tasks associated with the operation in the wastewater treatment and collection system for the Public Utilities Department. May also be required to work on water distribution in an emergency basis.
DUTIES: This is the entry level position in the Wastewater Collection System Division of the Public Utilities Department. Installs, maintains, and repairs a variety of wastewater treatment and collection system lines, equipment, meters, pumps, and related infrastructure. Inspects, cleans, and marks sewer lines for construction. Checks and verifies building locations within City sewer system operations.
• Knowledge of water and wastewater collection and distribution techniques and methods.
• Knowledge of the use of water and wastewater equipment and machinery.
• Knowledge of customer service techniques and methods.
• Knowledge of safety practices in confined spaces, traffic control, and trench safety.
• Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and/or demands.
• Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
• Skill in assessing, analyzing, identifying, and implementing solutions to complex problems.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, staff, vendors, contractors, visitors, elected officials, the general public,
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A high school diploma or GED and experience in wastewater collection system maintenance, or ability to obtain a Grade I California Water Environment Association certificate and Class B license with tanker endorsement within 12 months of date of appointment.